News & Events
Jun 8, 2017
Pray, Give, Speak Out: Crisis in South Sudan
In February, the Catholic Bishops of South Sudan appealed for international assistance and called for peace and reconciliation among their people. Plagued with violence and severe drought conditions, the UN has declared a famine in parts of South Sudan, Yemen, Northeast Nigeria, and Somalia, in the world’s largest humanitarian crises since the Second World War. 1.74 million are refugees from South Sudan; 260,000 people have died in Somalia, half of which are children under the age of five; cholera will affect 250,000 people over the next six months in Yemen; and 1.9 million people have abandoned their homes in Northeastern Nigeria.
The Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops (CCCB) has joined an ecumenical and interfaith appeal concerning the famine and food shortage in South Sudan, Yemen, Northeast Nigeria, and Somalia. The appeal is to involve a joint fundraising initiative which engages the CCCB and the Canadian Catholic Organization for Development and Peace. It is entitled Pray, Give, Speak Out:
- Pray: To remember the people of South Sudan, Somalia, northern Nigeria and Yemen, and to pray for peace, for government leaders, and for humanitarian workers in the region.
- Give: To make a financial contribution to the various established Canadian aid agencies working to alleviate this crisis. The Canadian government will match every donation made by an individual to a registered charity before June 30th. Enclosed is a memo to parishes with instructions for this process.
- Speak Out: To speak about it with family, friends and neighbours; to discuss it with local community agencies; and to raise the issue with Members of Parliament.
I have encouraged our pastors to take up a second collection on one of the weekends of June 11, 18, or 25, in support of our brothers and sisters in this their time of need, mindful of the government's June 30 deadline. As we have been so generously blessed, may we now be the instruments of Christ’s mercy and compassion to those who need our help.
From the CCCB
- Pray – Give – Speak Out: an interfaith appeal from Canada's faith communities
- Pray – Give – Speak Out: famine relief fund fact sheet
- Prayer intentions for the famine and food shortages in South Sudan, Somalia, Nigeria, and Yemen
- Ways to Donate