News & Events
Feb 16, 2016
Sisters of Saint Ann provide endowment to Saint Mark's College
It was a privilege to be present at the February 5, 2016, launch of the Marie Anne Blondin Chair in Theology at Saint Mark’s College at the University of British Columbia.
The Sisters of Saint Ann have donated $3 million to establish this Chair. This endowment represents the largest in the College’s history, and also one of the largest gifts received by a Catholic theological college in British Columbia.
The Sisters of Saint Ann is a congregation of women religious founded in Vaudreuil, Quebec, in 1850. The Endowed Chair memorializes the Congregation’s founder, Marie Esther Blondin, now Blessed Marie Anne Blondin.
On June 5, 1858, four Sisters of Saint Ann and a laywoman arrived in Victoria to begin educating children of the colony. Their arrival coincided with the Fraser River Gold Rush, necessitating a response to ever-changing needs, including care of the sick and dying.
In her remarks, Sr. Marie Zarowny, Province Leader of the Sisters in Western Canada, noted how important it is to have lay people in leadership who are well trained in Catholic theology. Saint Mark’s College, through its distance education program, will be able to provide such training to the peripheries in British Columbia.
Our history is rich with the blessings of the Sisters of Saint Ann, and with this gift, our future is bright with hope.
Members of the Sisters of Saint Ann, Saint Mark’s College, and guests at the February 5, 2016, endowment launch event for the Marie Anne Blondin Chair in Theology. Photo courtesty Saint Mark’s College