News & Events
Sep 16, 2015
Worldwide refugee crisis – parish and Diocesan support
An urgent memorandum from Bishop Gary Gordon
As you are aware, the world-wide refugee crisis has hit a new plateau in urgency and we have received a number of inquiries about this crisis and questions on how to help. As a means of offering assistance, I designate three organizations that we have confidence in and who are presently working directly in the most challenging places of our refugee crisis to assist the many people in urgent need:
- Canadian Catholic Organization for Development and Peace, www.devp.org
- Aid to the Church in Need – Canada, www.acn-aed-ca.org
- Catholic Near East Welfare Association (CNEWA)Canada, www.cnewa.ca
I authorize a special collection to be taken in parishes as soon as reasonably possible. Listed below are guidelines and some important information each parish should follow in regard to the donation process.
Special collection procedure
- The parish may choose any one of the organizations listed above to designate as the recipient of their special collection for the Refugee crisis.
- Parishioners will be informed of the organization that will be receiving their donation through the special collection.
- A second collection will be taken and/or envelopes will be available and labeled “Aid for Refugee Crisis" Parishioners should include “Aid for Refugee Crisis” on the memo of the cheque.
- Cheques should be made payable to the parish so that the parish may issue income tax receipts.
Contributions directly to organizations:
- Parishioners may donate directly to the organizations either on-line through the web-sites or via cheques may be made out to the respective organization.
- Any cheques received by the parish made payable directly to another organization will be sent directly to the recipient charity by the parish.
- Tax receipts will be issued by the organization that receives the donor’s cheque.
Please note, if the parish has already initiated a refugee committee this may be an opportunity to continue the fundraising for that enterprise, remembering that this is for a very long time and the monies will sit for a long period before being utilized, since it may take at least a year or longer before families arrive.
I am grateful to each of you for your support and generosity to assist the many victims of the current violence in the Middle-East and North Africa in particular. If you require any further information, please don’t hesitate to contact our office at the Pastoral Centre at (250) 479-1331.