Natural Family Planning (NFP) is a term used to describe fertility awareness to help couples avoid or achieve pregnancy. Fertility awareness means to understand the natural and regular fertile phase of a woman's menstrual cycle. There are a few clear signs or symptoms of the short fertile phase that occurs each month, which can be easily taught and interpreted by couples, through books or short workshops on NFP provided by the Diocese or private organizations. Fertility awareness allows a couple to regulate family size using a method that is in accordance with the teachings of the Catholic Church by practicing periodic abstinence.
Modern natural family planning is not the "rhythm" or "calendar" method, which relied on mathematical calculations of when a woman should experience ovulation. Modern NFP applies the medical knowledge of the physical ovulation symptoms a woman experiences to determine phases of fertility.
The Benefits of Natural Family Planning
- Completely safe, healthy and natural.
- No drugs, mechanisms, devices, or foreign substances.
- Is immediately reversible. As a couple becomes aware of fertile phases, they increase chances of conception when they hope to achieve pregnancy.
- Can be used by couples where the woman has regular, irregular or even changing cycles.
- Can be used while breast-feeding or during pre-menopause.
- Can assist couples in recognizing changes to their reproductive health.
- Helps foster communication on many levels in marriage.
For more information, see the following links:
Natural Family Planning International: http://www.nfpandmore.org/
Pope Paul VI Institute and the Creighton Model: www.popepaulvi.com
Find a mass or service. Search by time, location and/or language.
Salt & Light TV