Christ The King
In 1985 Bishop Remi De Roo decided to amalgamate the Courtenay & Comox parishes into one Catholic community. Father Ken Bernard, who was then the pastor for Courtenay and Cumberland, was also given the responsibility for Comox and Hornby Island. An interim pastoral council was formed to begin the process of unifying the parishes. A survey was conducted among the parishioners to find a name for the new community. At Christmas Midnight Mass in 1985, Father Bernard announced that Christ the King, Catholic Community of the Comox Valley, was the approved choice. In the summer of 1986 Father John Laszczyk became pastor of the new community, which he served for the next 15 years.
A ten-acre parcel of land adjacent to Ryan Road was acquired and the present structure completed, and dedicated on Saturday, June 6, 1992. As a millennium project a grotto to Our Lady (picture on left) was built in a quiet location on the church grounds. The grotto, which was a combined effort of the Knights of Columbus and the Catholic Women’s League of Canada, was blessed by Father John on March 25, 2000. Renovations and upgrading of the church to current seismic standards was undertaken in 2001.
To serve the now over 1000 households, Father Kazimierz Oleksy, SDS, succeeded Father John in 2001 and Father Slawomir Sciechowski, SDS, followed in 2002. In the summer of 2003, Father Alfonso Valeza arrived from the Philippines to take up duties as Parish Administrator. A new full-time pastor, Fr. Paul Murphy, was appointed and installed in 2004. In July of 2010 Fr. Marek Paczka took over from Fr. Paul Murphy.