St. Patrick's Campbell River
On the feast of our Lady of Lourdes in 1926, the Sisters of St. Ann arrived in Campbell River to take over the operation of the hospital. A chapel dedicated to Saint Therese of Lisieux was built in the basement of the hospital, and for 30 years this chapel served the Catholics of Campbell River. On occasions, Mass was also celebrated in a bunkhouse in Campbellton. All of this changed after Fr. Donal Lehane arrived in 1955, when he organized the construction of a church in Campbellton on land donated by the Haig-Brown family. St. Patrick's Church was blessed by Bishop James Hill on May 12, 1957. To accommodate the needs of a growing Catholic population a site for a new church was located south of town on land donated by the Murphy family. Construction occurred in various stages from 1985 to completion in 1990. Bishop Remi de Roo celebrated the Mass of dedication on June 16, 1990, officially naming the church St. Patrick's Catholic Church.
Our parish offers faith activities such as a pre-school program, Catechism classes, RCIA, Bible study groups, youth groups and prayer gatherings. Service opportunities exist through the Catholic Women's League, the Knights of Columbus, Development and Peace, the Saint Vincent de Paul Society as well as other outreach activities. Additionally, our Pastor celebrates Mass at the mission churches of Sayward, Gold River and Tahsis as well as at some of the local care facilities.
Diocesan-mandated committees help with the organization of the parish. We have a Parish Pastoral Council and various committees to help with everything from finance to liturgy. All of our activities are intended to further our knowledge and love of Jesus and to help transmit faith in his Gospel to others.