News from the Chancery is published each week to share information and upcoming events with the people of the Diocese of Victoria.
We have 6 items to share with you this week:
1) Deacon Joseph Yuson, a seminarian for the Diocese of Victoria presently in formation at St. Joseph’s Seminary in Edmonton, will be ordained to the Ministerial Priesthood on Saturday, June 22, 2024 at 10:00 am at St. Andrew’s Cathedral in Victoria. This is good news indeed for our Diocese! All are invited to join the celebration by participating in Deacon Joseph’s ordination Mass, either in person at St. Andrew’s or via the livestream at https://www.youtube.com/c/RCDVictoriaLiveOne/. Your prayers for Joseph and his intentions are appreciated as he prepares for service as a ministerial priest to the People of God in the Diocese of Victoria. Please also pray that we all may discern the vocation which God has planned for us, and respond generously and whole-heartedly to His call.
2) The CCCB Episcopal Commission for Justice and Peace released a Pastoral Letter this week on the use of social media titled:“Let Your Speech Always Be Gracious.” It considers the benefits and dangers of social media from the perspective of Catholic Social Teaching, provides tools for moral reflection and self-examination, and suggests seven commitments by which to be guided for a more ethical use of social media. The letter can be read online at https://www.cccb.ca/announcement/bishops-release-a-pastoral-letter-on-the-use-of-social-media
3) Registration is now open for the online course “Integral Ecology: From Laudato si’ to Laudate Deum”. Offered by the Pontifical Universities and Atheneums of Rome, the course is led by a renowned faculty of academics, leaders, and activists from around the world, representing some of the major institutions and groups involved in the area of creation care. The course runs until June, and consists of six 90 minutes modules, a workshop in March, and an online conference in May. The first module was released on January 25, but people can join the course any time before March 31. The course fee is 30 Euros (approximately $45 CAD). For more information and to register, please visit https://www.unigre.it/en/events-and-communication/communication/news-and-press-releases/registration-open-online-course-on-integral-ecology/.
4) Faith Through Film, hosted by Holy Family Notre Dame Parish in Port Alberni, continues with screenings taking place every Wednesday afternoon from 1:00-3:00 and Thursday evening from 6:00-8:00. Starting on January 31, the film for the next three weeks will be “Jesus of Nazareth”, shown in 3 parts. With funding made available through the Bishop’s Appeal, all screenings are free of charge, and complimentary popcorn and other snacks will also be offered. Pre-registration is encouraged but not mandatory; please phone 250-723-8912, or firstname.lastname@example.org. For a complete schedule of screenings, please visit the Diocesan Events Calendar at https://www.rcdvictoria.org/events-calendar.
5)Youth in grades 7-12 are invited to the annual Diocese of Victoria Youth Retreat, which runs from February 2 – 4, 2024 at Camp Homewood on Quadra Island. This year's theme is "Seek Him", and the retreat will be presented by Face to Face Ministries. The cost is $195 per participant, which includes all food, accommodation, and activities. Youth are asked to register with their local parish. For more information, contact St. Patrick's Parish in Campbell River (stpatricks-CR@shaw.ca or 250-287-3498), or Bonni Roset, Camp Coordinator, email@example.com or 250-203-1518.
6) On Sunday, February 4, the Victoria Multifaith Society and the Ahmadiyya Muslim Community will host a World Religions Conference from 4:30 – 6:30 pm at Saanich Commonwealth Place in Victoria (4636 Elk Lake Dr). Speakers from nine different spiritual traditions will hold a panel discussion on the topic of “Kindness and Kinship”; following the presentation, all are invited to stay for an East Indian dinner. The event and dinner are free, but advanced registration is requested at https://worldreligionsconference.ca/upcoming-conference-2/#register.