Since his ordination, Bishop Gary's love of nature and connecting with his congregation, especially with First Nations communities, developed a lifelong bond with the Stó:lō Nation. Embodying the model to Authentically Witness Excellence, his adventurous, outgoing spirit, and gift of storytelling endeared him to the community. Shortly after being appointed Bishop of the Diocese of Whitehorse in 2006, in honour of his evangelising and connecting with the people, Bishop Gordon received the name Xyolhmetoxw, which means ‘taking care of the people’ in Halq’eméylem, the language of the Stó:lō Nation.
In November 2014, when Bishop Gordon was appointed Shepherd of the Diocese of Victoria, he continued to personally engage, accompany, connect, model, and mentor, encouraging his staff and clergy to follow suit. Bishop Gordon guides and teaches in his own special, personal, and unique way—whether it is creating sandboxes as a prop to explain the complexities of Truth and Reconciliation to Grade Two students, working with inmates, victims, and families through Restorative Justice, or simply connecting with people on their own terms while fishing.
- Bishop ponens to the Interfaith Committee on Chaplaincy of the Correctional Service of Canada for the Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops.
- Co-Chairman of the Anglican/Roman Catholic Bishops’ Dialogue for the CCCB the since 2012; reappointed for a second three-year term ending in 2018.
- Canadian Representative to the International Anglican–Roman Catholic Commission for Unity and Mission for Anglican–Roman Catholic Dialogue
- Serra International – Canada Council liaison Bishop
- National Catholic Broadcasting Council Board Member (appointed 2016)
- Providence Health Care Society Board Member, Vancouver
Contact Bishop Gary Gordon
Bishop Gary Gordon's Pastoral Letters and Statements
Merlin, Bishop Gary's Golden Retriever, was born in 2011, and vaulted to puppyhood stardom in the movie Spooky Buddies, part of the Disney Buddies franchise, sometimes referred to as the Air Bud and Air Buddies franchise. Merlin played the part of Buddha, the mischievous puppy, and was gifted to Bishop Gary upon completion of filming.
Bishop Gary was then Bishop of Whitehorse, and Merlin grew up roaming the wilds of the Yukon. On three separate occasions, Merlin defended the Bishop from bears, a ‘hat-trick’ that earned him the honourary title ‘St. Merlin’.
Merlin loved his role as Diocesan Dog, and when possible, accompanied Bishop Gary on his travels. He loved people, food, chasing balls, and car rides, and could often be found visiting the Pastoral Centre staff, or welcoming guests to the Bishop’s residence.
Merlin passed peacefully on Sunday, November 13, 2022. A beloved and long-time member of our Diocese, he will be missed!