News from the Chancery is published each week to share information and upcoming events with the people of the Diocese of Victoria.
We have 6 items to share with you this week:
1) From February 4 - 11, we will mark National Catholic Health Care Week in Canada, recognizing the important work of Catholic health care organizations in our provinces and across the country. More information and resources, including daily reflections and prayers for each day of the Week, are available on the Catholic Health Alliance of Canada website at https://www.chac.ca/en/national-catholic-health-care-week/.
2) Star of the North Retreat Centre is offering two Truth & Reconciliation events this month:
- On Saturday, February 10, Lewis Cardinal will lead a retreat from 8 am - 3:30 pm on the value of Indigenous healing practices, and how communities thrive when they have a strong and vibrant connection to culture and traditions. Lewis is the Project Manager for “kihcihkaw askiy–Sacred Land” in Edmonton, the first designated urban Indigenous ceremony grounds in Canada. The registration fee for online participants is $70 before February 1, or $90 for those who register later. For more information and to register, please visit www.starofthenorth.ca/cardinal or call 780-459-5511.
- On Thursday, February 15 Elders Jo-Ann and Jerry Saddleback will give a talk at 6:00 pm on “A Plains Cree Perspective of Treaty 6.” The suggested donation is $20. For more information and to register, please visit www.starofthenorth.ca./reconciliation or call 780-459-5511
3) On Sunday, February 18, the Diocese will celebrate the Rite of Election during the 11 am Mass at St. Andrew's Cathedral. In this liturgical rite, catechumens (unbaptized people who wish to join the Church) are presented to the Bishop and ask to be allowed to participate in the sacraments of Baptism, Confirmation and the Eucharist at Easter. All are invited to participate in the Mass, either in person or via the livestream at https://www.youtube.com/@RCDVictoriaLiveOne
4) Faith Through Film, hosted by Holy Family Notre Dame Parish in Port Alberni, continues with screenings every Wednesday afternoon from 1-3 pm and Thursday evening from 6-8 pm. With funding made available through the Bishop’s Appeal, all screenings are free of charge, and complimentary popcorn and other snacks will also be offered. Pre-registration is encouraged but not mandatory; please phone 250-723-8912 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. For a complete schedule of screenings, please visit the Diocesan Events Calendar at https://www.rcdvictoria.org/events-calendar.
5) The Society of Saint Vincent de Paul of Vancouver Island is looking for a Membership and Volunteer Development Coordinator to work at their 4353 West Saanich Road, Victoria office. To learn more about this spiritually rewarding career opportunity, please view the job posting at https://www.ssvpvancouverisland.ca/job-board/view/168-membership-and-volunteer-coordinator.
6) Grief to Grace is a retreat program facilitated by mental health professionals and centered on Jesus Christ which helps those who have endured neglect, physical, emotional, sexual, and/or spiritual abuse in their family of origin, their community, from spouses/partners, and/or coworkers or supervisors, find healing and journey to wholeness. The next retreat in Canada is May 14 - 18, 2024 in Kelowna. For more information please email email@example.com or make a confidential call to 250-808-6403.